top of page

FA Cup: First Team 2 Chesham United 2

Football is all about fine margins and big decisions.

The FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round tie against Chesham United had both in an increasingly entertaining tie in front of a crowd of more than 400 at Greatness Park.

The latter came in the shape of Byron Walker's goal being ruled out for offside with Town 2-1 up - although replays show he looked at least level with the last defender before pouncing to convert after Chesham goalkeeper Ashlee Jones had only parried the first effort.

Another came when visiting boss Andy Leese sent on veteran striker Barry Hayles with 24 minutes left - the veteran striker knocking in the stoppage-time equaliser to salvage a replay.

Brad Wadkins lobbed the Southern League Premier Division side in front after only four minutes. He made the most of a defensive mix-up. Going behind early was a blow to Town but they kept themselves in the tie.

Yacine Ghanore just missed out on getting a vital touch as Jones claimed the ball, before the visitors went close twice.

Town pulled level on the stroke of half-time, Carnegie taking the ball across the 19-yard line before beating Jones with a right foot shot which crept inside the near post.

Mickey Collins made a change at half-time, sending on Jerson Dos Santos in place of Ghanore.

Then with six minutes of the restart, Town were in front. Steve Camacho did well getting in on the left hand by-line, and providing the perfect pass for Carnegie to head home.

Walker then saw his effort ruled out, before breaking into the box again, only to be denied by a last ditch challenge from Chesham defender Adam Martin.

Dos Santos then fired wide, before Brown kept out sub Drew Roberts' free-kick. Walker then missed a great chance to win the tie, only to fire over the bar - one-on-one against Jones - before 44-year old Hayles pounced to keep his side - who reached the Second Round Proper last season - in the tie.

Grim faced Chesham officials then carried out their own impromptu inquest at the final whistle - suggesting they also felt lucky to survive.

As for Town it was still a day to remember for the club in front of an excellent crowd of 426.

bottom of page