First Team 1 Glebe 1

Monday, January 29, 2018

Micky Collins admits Sevenoaks have to be more ruthless in the final third after watching his side held to a third successive Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division draw at a wet and windy Bourne Stadium on Saturday.


They led through Jason Thompson’s 34th minute free-kick before experienced Glebe captain Derek Duncan earned his side a point with a 30-yard deflected strike 18 minutes from time.


The visitors, making their first competitive trip following a 0-0 draw at Chislehurst in early September, included two former Town players, George Savage and Adrian Stone in their line-up.


The result sees Town’s unbeaten record stretch to 17 games, but their rivals are circling with their lead cut to one point with two games in hand, as a busy February - which includes six games - beckons.


Boss Collins said: “It was frustrating and disappointing. We played well in spells - but then switched off - and no disrespect to Glebe, they only had one shot on target in the game. We scored from a good set-piece, but aren’t doing enough when dominating games, and with the players we have out on that park, it has got to be better.”


“We can’t keep relying on our back four and keeper to win a game 1-0. It’s been a stop-start month because of weather, but we won’t use that as an excuse. We need to be more ruthless in front of goal, but at the moment, we seem to want an extra touch in front of goal, and it breaks down. The boys know - they are not silly - they want to win games, and are all here to win the title, so we have got to knuckle down and get back to winning ways.”


Rory Hill was denied twice by Glebe keeper Dean Nash, and Thompson went close as well before breaking the deadlock with his second goal in successive games. Byron Walker was felled on the edge of the box, and Thompson curled home a perfect free-kick inside Nash’s right post.


Glebe then went close when Brian Zepo’s effort was deflected for a corner by Tom Ripley, playing despite being ill in midweek.


Hill missed out twice early in the second half, as Town failed to add to their lead, before Duncan struck. Nothing seemed on when he let fly, but his long-range effort beat new goalkeeper Jack Bradshaw, making his debut, after moving from Tunbridge Wells. He has replaced Ben-Bridle-Card who could miss the rest of the season with a badly torn quad muscle.


Glebe defender Max Fitzgerald was the only booking of the game after felling Hill on the edge of the box, but nothing came from the free-kick.


Fellow new-man Ben Wilson, signed from Hythe in midweek, was among the substitutes. Collins has also moved to bring striker Kenny Pogue in on dual-reg terms from Hastings.

Please reload

Latest News

April 30, 2019

April 24, 2019

April 23, 2019

Please reload


FA Charter Standard Community Club

Legal Name Sevenoaks Town FC Limited

Registered Charity Number: 1137673 | Company Registration Number: 07298016 | Affiliation Number 2019/20:  V-KEN4509