Town Progress in FA Cup

Monday, August 21, 2017

An FA Cup win and a free seat at the nearby Biggin Hill Airshow made for the perfect afternoon at Hayes Lane on Sunday.


Tom Young scored twice and Billy Bennett the other as Town survived a strong second half display by the home side to claim another big scalp.


Last season Town got past Horsham and Lewes to reach the Second Qualifying Round for the first time in the club's history, then being seconds away from knocking  out 

Southern League Premier Division Chesham United.


Town led 2-0 at half-time with goals by Young and Bennett - the second - one of the best goals scored by Town in recent times in build-up and execution.


Luke Medley pulled one back early in the second half, before Young scored the third, making the most of a great pass by Jack Miles. Sub Frazier Barker's looping header got Cray's second, before Town lived dangerously at the end.


Greg Benbow hooked the ball off his own line in stoppage-time, and moments later the final whistle blew.


Town named Steve Camacho at right back in the only change from the side that started the 2-1 defeat at Cray Valley in midweek - which proved to be boss James Collins' last game in charge, before parting company late last week.


Micky Collins was back in the Town dug-out after completing a three-game stadium.


Jimmy Rogers saw his effort cleared off the line only two minutes in, before Cray's Jay Leader was the first to test Craig Holloway in their first attack. The Town keeper then stopped another Leader effort, before Young fired them in front after eight minutes from Rogers' pass


The midfielder was involved again three minutes later, his free-kick finding Jack Miles who was inches away from scoring for the second successive game. Play was then held up due to an injury to Cray right back Barney Williams who needed lengthy treatment before leaving the field and taken to hospital suffering from concussion.


Harrison Carnegie and Billy Bennett went close before Town doubled their lead. The move started on the far byline before moving inside, Young laying the ball off for Bennett to drive home.


Holloway saved well again from the lively Brandon Scott as Town led at half-time. Cray pulled one back through Medley's close-range finish, before Town made a double substitution, sending on Darren Marsden and Byron Walker for Bennett and Andy Irvine.


A minute later Young missed out on a great chance to get a third, but made amends in style five minutes later lobbing home after running into a perfectly timed through ball.


Brett Ince then replaced Carnegie, before Cray got a second from teenager Freddie Barker's looping header which hit the post and rolled into the net. That lifted the hosts for a last push, Holloway saving from Ben Mundele before Karl Dent ended a strong run, curling his effort wide of the far post. Benbow then produced timely clearance off the line, before Cray put another effort wide.


Town will face Crowborough Athletic in the First Qualifying Round.

Please reload

Latest News

April 30, 2019

April 24, 2019

April 23, 2019

Please reload


FA Charter Standard Community Club

Legal Name Sevenoaks Town FC Limited

Registered Charity Number: 1137673 | Company Registration Number: 07298016 | Affiliation Number 2019/20:  V-KEN4509